Going Small

So, Novvember: thirty MOCs, thirty days. That was my goal. It might have been just about anything in any style. I chose to emulate nnenn. There is a simplicity to those old builds. Easy to dive in and get going. And that was my ultimate motivation; to get building again.

Nnenn said something like this; the more you build, the better you get and the more often you build, the faster you get. He also said that after taking a break from creative endeavors, people often found that they had gotten better.

I don't know if these ideas work for everybody, but they seem to work for me. He said a lot of stuff like that. The guy was educated and was willing to share. A lot of people are more like, "Go look it up for yourself."

I used to believe that I could get my own education free from my local libraries...but I never did. Most people never will. I don't know exactly why that is, but I think nnenn understood it. There's something to the social aspect of sharing information, ideas, and knowledge.

Anyway, this is the second time I challenged myself to build quickly. Both times I've grown as a builder. I have some MOCs to share from before this challenge, but everything that comes after will be better in some way. I'm more familiar with my collection again. I've placed several Bricklink orders to fill out specific areas in my collection that were lacking (GREEN!). I've rediscovered old techniques and stumbled across new techniques. My editing has improved a hundred-fold from six months earlier.

It is my opinion, and might not be shared by everyone, that it is better to produce more often than let everything lag seemingly forever. This works for ME. I am comfortable with this way of doing things. If I were writing a novel, I might have a different philosophy.

Halfway through my challenge, I only had about eight Vic Vipers completed. I had already begun skimping on engineering, now I was considering building smaller also. I sent a message to Peter Morris and said that I wasn't happy with how things were going, that I might not get all thirty MOCs done. And if I didn't finish, I might not want to share anything at all.

I sat down and a made a list of ideas, hoping it might serve as a guide and help me focus on a few specific ideas. And I started building smaller.

Comments

Popular Posts