Devil in the Details

The first wave was finished. I had plenty of time left but I was going to have to build faster. The photography had already been tweaked for efficiency but the engineering was holding me back. WiPs were sitting around for tweaking and Bricklink orders. Also, the wife was reminding me that I had a family to spend time with, and some house projects to finish. Suddenly, I was starting to work more weekends, mostly Saturdays, but also some Sundays.

How did nnenn do this?

I took some time to research his Novvember project. Found the online interviews, which I had read years ago but forgot about. Throughout my project I was also studying his Bricklink and Flickr. The Novvember interview was an eye-opener for me. He said that he started building his Vic Vipers two weeks before November. That means he built all those vics, photographed, edited, and posted (with write-ups and names and some backgrounds) in a six week period.

Six Weeks!

Are you kidding me?

I had just spent six weeks building five, with no names or editing!

Another thing that stood out in that interview was his statement about how the quality of the builds suffered near the end. This was something I had noticed while studying his Flickr. I hadn't really noticed it before, while he was actively posting years before (too star-struck, I suppose). But while everything has its own uniqueness, the quality diminished on some of them. I remember thinking, early in my project, that he wouldn't have posted some of those Vics under normal circumstances, but with a deadline looming...

I was going to have to build faster. I wasn't going to get more time. I had to spend time with my family and more hours on the job.

So I chose to drop the engineering time. Less cleverness and detailing.

Knowing I was going to have to spend less time on engineering was sobering. I enjoyed adding detailing to my MOCs. I was well aware that some of my earlier stuff was lacking in detail. Maybe I could make up for it with the designs.

Comments

Popular Posts